To sign up for services or ask questions about the program, contact Barbara Emge, Meals on Wheels Coordinator.
To volunteer as a driver, contact Tammy Duran, Meals on Wheels Volunteer Coordinator.
About the Program
- View April 2014 MOW Menus
- Simple, healthy meals delivered to your home.
- Great way for seniors who live alone to get one good meal a day.
- Meals are specifically designed to meet the nutritional parameters set by the Older Americans Act and the Alameda Area Agency on Aging.
- Every fresh cooked meal provides one-third of the minimum daily requirements for older adults and includes food that is high in Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- The entrees are low fat, contain no added salt, and are delivered with a pint of milk and fresh fruit.
We are currently delivering over 100,000 meals per year with the help of 250 volunteers. Our volunteers deliver hot, nutritious mid-day meals from 10:30 am – 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday, with frozen meals available for the weekend. The program currently has seven dietary options: regular, vegetarian, renal, diabetic, soft, mechanical soft, and puree. All meals are low in sodium, cholesterol and fat.
All of our community volunteers are required to go through a background check before they start delivering meals as well as participate in an orientation on the program.
Join the Next Meal Club
Currently, close to 75% of our clients are unable to contribute financially toward the cost of their meals. To help us continue providing meals to those who are most vulnerable, we are encouraging local businesses to join our Next Meal Club. Your company’s donation or company matching gift is needed now to help end senior hunger. LIFE ElderCare helps seniors live independently in their own homes for as long as safely possible, with dignity and a good quality of life. We invite you to join us.
To date, we have received generous donations from: